Clarifiying the Role of Business AnalystsOctober 8, 2013
In this article, Trent Wong discusses how well the Business Analyst’s role is defined in organization. He starts by saying that the Business Analyst is a key success factor for software development projects. You need him to getting the requirements list properly, effectively communicating them to management and translating the requirements so the developers can build the application.
To reach success in a software development project, the roles and responsibilities must be well defined and aligned to the strategy of the project team. According to Trent Wong: “the confusion begins when organizations are unclear about the objectives the BA should have, the tasks they should be responsible for, and the methods they should use.” An organization should have in its top priorities the definition of their standard processes, policies and business rules for requirements definition and management.
He provides the following roadmap:
1. Definition/collaboration/alignment of vision and objectives amongst the stakeholders (Enterprise analysis),
2. Discovery of the scope and analysis of the desired state solutions delivery business processes, with the right subject matter experts (SME),
3. Elicitation of the processes to map the business requirements,
4. Identification of the risks, issues and rules,
5. Analysis and extrapolation of the functional requirements,
6. Delivery and transformation.
The article presents the different roles of a Business Analyst as a leader and communicator. His conclusion is that “Strong requirements practices, analysis and collaboration skills have always been the foundation for effective delivery of solutions. Whether you’re called a systems engineer, product manager, program manager, project manager, systems analyst or scrum master, these capabilities must exist – and must be a priority – in any organization that values and treats seriously its product, systems and solution delivery.”
Read the complete article on http://blog.iag.biz/the-ba-role-as-clear-as-mud/